Sometime last week I stopped getting internet connectivity through my cell provider. I made the mistake of calling them. Between navigating their voice menu system, and talking to first tier help, waiting while they talked to second tier help, I only lost about 30 minutes of my time. However, they told me that the problem was the bluetooth connection to my phone. The problem *really* was that pppd was looking for an IP address in the 10.x.x.x range, and my provider had stopped NATing those. This took me about 20 minutes to fix. Although I probably didn't have to do this, I created a new GPRS CID (Connection IDentifier) on my phone from the data provided by "Opera":http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/docs/connect/ . This site will spit out the APN, username, and password settings you need to set to establish a GPRS connection with a wide variety of international providers. There are a million different gprs configurations for linux pppd out there. Here is another. Here is the "peers" file:
Here is the connect script.
/dev/rfcomm0 115200 defaultroute usepeerdns nodetach crtscts lock noauth local debug lcp-echo-failure 4 lcp-echo-interval 65535 connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat_scripts/gprs-connect-chat" disconnect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat_scripts/gprs-disconnect-chat"
And here is the disconnect script
TIMEOUT 10 ECHO ON ABORT 'BUSY' ABORT 'ERROR' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' SAY "Resetting phone...\n" "" 'ATZ' OK 'ATE1V1' ABORT 'NO CARRIER' OK 'ATD*99***4#' # the '2' is for CID 2 on the phone SAY "Waiting for connect...\n" CONNECT ""
"" "\K" "" "+++ATH" SAY "GPRS disconnected"